Thursday, February 3, 2011

Part One - done

I know, I know. You can't believe I'm posting this morning. I have a
bout half an hour until I have to be at the local hospital so I thought I might as well be doing this.

We woke up at 5:30 am and just enjoyed laying there together for a minute knowing it would be the last time we would be able to for a while (I'll be sleeping in a recliner for the next week or so after the surgery because of all the tubes and drains that will be attached to me).

We were up and out the door by 6 am, and as usual, we arrived at our appointment a little early. The doors didn't open til 7 am so all we could do was wait.
At 7 am we realize we should have gone to ' patient registration' first, so now we are scrambling to get it all done.

Are you picturing us running through the hospital?
Did I mention wearing my pijamas and my bathrobe?

Waiting before the procedure, all grumpy and scared.

Anyway, we finally get it all done, and we are settled in a room. Brad comes in with me, but he has to sit waaaay over there. So, no hand holding. Damn. The nurse was nice. She was trying to convince me that this particular procedure would hurt less than the biopsy, but I wasn't convinced. She described it as a bee sting.

Then she proceeds to put a needle into my nipple. That part was actually ok. Didn't hurt. Then she pulls it out. "Oops, wrong size." she says. Are you kidding me? So, she goes and gets a smaller needle and says 'let's try this again.' I think awful things about her in my head, and then I lay back down. The poking really is painless. But then comes the sting. Holy crap. It stung. But I held it together. Brad said he could see my hand clench up into a fist. It was over pretty fast. I could feel the sting spreading into my armpit. What a weird sensation, lasted about a minute.

"See, just like a bee sting" she smiles at me.

A bee on crack, that's what I think.

After the procedure, very relieved.

Next we wait for an hour, quite uneventful really. Then we go to my favorite part of the whole morning. They stick me in some sort of scanning machine that comes really close to my face and take all sorts of images. I need to hold still. No problem. The quiet murmur of the machine and the pillows they provided me with actually almost put me to sleep. If it hadn't been for Brad snapping pictures, I may just have.

I must have been there during the technician's break time because at some point she excuses herself and tells us that "Mark" will take over. Really? You need coffee that bad that you can't let me finish my scan? Apparently so.

We get our pictures in a little envelope when it's all over and we are speedy gonzales all the way back into town. We earned ourselves an extra half hour before we gotta check in to the next hospital for party two.

We came home, let the dog out, Brad had breakfast and I am blogging.

All this and it's not even 10 am.

Betcha you feel like a slacker now...


Unknown said...

You're amazing!
Good luck. Thinking of you.

VV said...

You are an awesome individual and so in control of this thing that you were actually reporting on everything. Amazing! Keep going. This is how you fight it. Keep control of all of it.

Sayre said...

Wow... you're amazing - even when grumpy. I've fallen asleep in scans before. If you can't move and you have to be there a while, it seems like the logical thing to do.

Sorry, I laughed out loud and scared the dog reading "bee on crack". I know it wasn't fun, but your sense of humor will help you get through it all. That and a very loving and supportive man. Sounds like you've got what you need.

Becky said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hoping everything went smoothly for you and you have a relatively pain free and as comfortable as possible recovery. I don't get new commenters in my blog often (usually Euro p*rn mongers or other spam) so I was excited to check your profile. Then I arrived here, read a bit and said "Oh shit. She's too young and cute for this ordeal." The curse was heartfelt. Crossing fingers and toes for the best possible outcome for you!

Unknown said...

Just a note this evening to let you know I'm thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Eileen is Anonymous...won't let me post another way..

Patty said...

Don't know how I got to your blog...but I did. Saying prayers for you.

tweetey30 said...

Hey my friend. I havent checked blogs all day today.. Hope all is going well and hope to see you around soon.. going to e-mail you here in a minute.. check e=mail when you get a moment..